Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Naked child: Art?

  1. #1
    Insane Fangirl Zipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    382
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Naked child: Art?

    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=592655

    Recently in the news in Australia there is a scandal relating to the use of a photo of a naked six-year-old girl on the cover of Art Monthly Australia.

    The prime minister of Australia admitted that he was outraged by the use of this photo of a young child, clearly unable to give consent, and on the cover of the magazine no less, for all to see. The photo was of course displayed such, in the name of art.

    What do you guys think?

    Do you think that a child, much like an adult, can be depicted naked like this, as long as it is in the name of art?

    Where should the line be drawn?
    鋼の錬金術師

    Safe from pain, and truth and choice, and other poison devils.




    And it all breaks down at the role reversal,
    got the muse in my head, she's universal.

  2. #2
    Nymph-chan Blu Ray Disc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida - Fort Myers, Florida
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,863
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    Ok. Naked people on the covers of magazines are alright. But, it should be adults, at least 18 years of age. Anyone younger, and it should be considered child porn.
    I mean, drawing little things like naked cupid, and naked babies are alright. But, if it's a photo of an actual thinking child, it should not be allowed.
    I can see how they're saying it's all for the name of art, but that doesn't mean they should be doing things as outrageous as this. Because of this little incident, it's gonna cause artists all over the world to begin drawing naked children. Something that I don't want to see anytime soon.



  3. #3
    Advanced Member yasae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Age
    28
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blu Ray Disc View Post
    Ok. Naked people on the covers of magazines are alright. But, it should be adults, at least 18 years of age. Anyone younger, and it should be considered child porn.
    I mean, drawing little things like naked cupid, and naked babies are alright. But, if it's a photo of an actual thinking child, it should not be allowed.
    I can see how they're saying it's all for the name of art, but that doesn't mean they should be doing things as outrageous as this. Because of this little incident, it's gonna cause artists all over the world to begin drawing naked children. Something that I don't want to see anytime soon.
    Lots of backlash will cause artists all over the world to begin drawing naked children?

    *blinks*

    But I honestly don't find this artistic. I don't find any nudes artistic really, they're a bit uncreative. It reminds me how ugly and incomplete the human body is - even with the lookers.

  4. #4
    Groundbreaker Megalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    I find it deeply disturbing, I don't even want to know how the kid was convinced to do this "art". Personally im not a fan of nude modeling and stuff, I prefer women with a few pieces of clothing on, it leaves more open to the imagination I guess.

  5. #5
    G4NG5T4 Katie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    27
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    I believe that the human body is beautiful and should be considered art. However, a thick line must be drawn when it comes to the issue of age and consent.
    18 is the legal age here on this hemisphere, and if im not mistaken its the same in Australia.
    It is disgusting and immoral to allow children to be pictured naked!
    the prime minister, kevin rudd, said it best
    "A little child cannot answer for themselves about whether they wish to be depicted in this way.

    "I have very deep, strong, personal views on this, which is that we should be on about maximising the protection of children.

    "I don't think this is a step in the right direction at all."

    you cant exploit people, especially when they are children.

  6. #6
    Traffic Cone Vivi :D Pixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Age
    30
    Posts
    386
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    Hmmm Bill Henson... wasnt there some contravercy about him photographing a topless 13 year old girl?

    I dont know if I think of this kinda thing as art. Its definitely a powerful image, but art?

  7. #7
    Lightning w/ Blond Hair COOKED PASTAH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    Jesus christ, it's not like the kid was bending over or was in some sexualized position for a porn magazine. What the hell is this talk of "the innocence of the child"? And she's thirteen, I think at that stage her brain is developped enough for her to BE consent on what was going on.

    We've had naked kids and adults in art long since dinosaurs were still running the joint, I don't see why it's such a sudden outcry and issue (other than today's paranoid censorship of "child pornography"). If you ask me, the reaction is exaggerated.

    No really, who hasn't admired a painting of those adorable little churubs, or even those roman/greek/whatever-I-failed-at-art-history-anyway statues? You can't have done that then ridiculously lash on to this one photo. That's just silly.

  8. #8
    G4NG5T4 Katie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    27
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    @ cooked pastah: the girl was 6, not thirteen. thanks for playing the devils advocate on this one, but saying that because humans have the ability to be naked does not mean its ok to put naked children on magazine covers. if a strong outcry isnt made towards things like this, next thing you know child pornography is running ramped.. exaggerated reaction? i think that it is the exact reaction that should have been taken, if not id be really concerned with society.

  9. #9
    Pegasus Actual Tian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pleasuretown
    Posts
    913
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    I'm all for freedom of speech and expression and stuff, but I think in the case of banning the photography of naked children, we can probably let this one go. The photo on the website doesn't seem that artistic OR exploitative, but you're already treading some very fine lines when photographing naked kids. If the law says no, I'd go with what the law says.

  10. #10
    Advanced Member yasae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Age
    28
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    @ cooked pastah: the girl was 6, not thirteen. thanks for playing the devils advocate on this one, but saying that because humans have the ability to be naked does not mean its ok to put naked children on magazine covers. if a strong outcry isnt made towards things like this, next thing you know child pornography is running ramped.. exaggerated reaction? i think that it is the exact reaction that should have been taken, if not id be really concerned with society.
    Gigantic leap in logic there, Katie. Why, if we let one nude in then we'll be flooded with child pornography! I mean come on. That's a straw man argument.

    However, I don't find much of an artistic reason to photograph children minus their clothes, and it does strike me as.... Vulgar, because the subject doesn't quite realize the full extent of the context they'll be placed in. That's what children don't understand - they'll nod and agree, but lack the foresight to see many repercussions. Consent could be scarring later.

    Maybe there is an artistic slant to nudes, but I haven't seen one yet, let alone anything involving children. Admiration of the latter does walk a dangerous line with pedophilia, or at least the suspicion of its presence. Why would someone fixate on naked children all day? Either they find an ethereal beauty where most don't, or....




    Anyway. Not art.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Dies Irae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Enigma
    Posts
    1,770
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zipper View Post

    Do you think that a child, much like an adult, can be depicted naked like this, as long as it is in the name of art?

    Where should the line be drawn?
    This is not art. Taking a picture of a child naked is considered child porn as it is the law. It's really disturbing that they even allowed this cover to be put up. I feel sick just looking at it. I agree with Katie that it should be 18 as it is the consenting age. I know that from my law class it is legal to have virtual/drawn pictures of child porn. I still can't believe that it's even allowed. This is seriously messed up.

    XBL: NightbornX

  12. #12
    Pegasus Actual Tian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pleasuretown
    Posts
    913
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by yasae View Post
    Gigantic leap in logic there, Katie. Why, if we let one nude in then we'll be flooded with child pornography! I mean come on. That's a straw man argument.
    It's actually a slippery slope argument

    Seems like in the US, photography like this is protected by the law. Even though the child is nude, it doesn't focus on genitalia or feature otherwise lascivious content.

  13. #13
    Advanced Member yasae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Age
    28
    Posts
    630
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tian View Post
    It's actually a slippery slope argument
    No, it's actually both. Supporting this picture is essentially supporting child pornography, an item spread among the depraved pedophiles within society. You can't use art to defend filth, it is morally wrong.





    Burns like straw to me.
    Taking a picture of a child naked is considered child porn as it is the law.
    Then you'd have to jail quite a few parents with bath time albums.

    It's the posing that so many people have a problem with.

  14. #14
    Pegasus Actual Tian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pleasuretown
    Posts
    913
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    Yeah, the line where it gets creepy is if they're not your own kids.

    Honestly, it really all depends on context. This magazine cover isn't overtly sexualized, nor is it particularly artistic but that's all subjective. If the PM says it's offensive, I'd just roll with it.

  15. #15
    Insane Fangirl Zipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    382
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Naked child: Art?

    I have to agree with you guys. 18 is the law here, and just because they are calling this picture "art" doesn't detract from the fact that it is a naked six-year-old girl. Simple as that.

    People have been jailed for possession of such photos. They took the right reaction in detracting this magazine from sales (Which I assume they would have after the PM's reaction) and regardless of the fact that the girl is not in any sexually provocative poses or anything like that, the law is the law. Labelling it art does not allow them to bend the law.
    鋼の錬金術師

    Safe from pain, and truth and choice, and other poison devils.




    And it all breaks down at the role reversal,
    got the muse in my head, she's universal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
eXTReMe Tracker