Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XV Plot (so far) and the Shakespearean Connection

Hybrid View

Default Final Fantasy XV Plot (so far) and the Shakespearean Connection

Hey everybody,

I've been dying to start a thread like this, but thought I'd wait until another trailer was released in order to avoid outrageous speculation... Almost seven years ago, it was impossible to discuss the potential plot due to lack of information, but with the latest FFXV reveal trailer and the GameTrailers video analysis, I just had to start this thread - I can't wait until September for the TGS!

I apologize for this post being quite long... I know most of you are busy and may not have time to read through this analysis, but I do hope you find the time. I have worked very hard on this and had a lot of fun writing it, so I hope you all enjoy it and find it an interesting read.

For those who haven't yet seen the GameTrailers Video Analysis, watch it here:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/z...ehind-the-myth

We all know that Final Fantasy XV will have a tragic plot, with allusions and quotes that reference Shakespeare's plays particularly that of Hamlet. Some have also speculated that there are references to Romeo and Juliet as well...

And for those of you who need to brush up your knowledge on Shakespeare's plays, here are a few links with brief outlines and summaries to help you out:

Hamlet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet

Romeo and Juliet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_and_Juliet

Other Shakespearen tragedies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespearean_tragedy

GameTrailers likened FFXV's plot to that of Hamlet and while they do seem to share a lot of similarities, I'm also going to address the symbols found in Romeo and Juliet. FFXV may not be a love story, but after reading a few of the motifs found in the play, I can understand why some would consider Noctis and Stella "star-crossed" and why Nomura has designed these two to contrast each other.

FFXV's plot may have connections to other Shakespearean plays, but I'm going to focus my analysis on these two for now...

Note to Jesus and other moderators:
    I know I said that I would provide a link to my analysis from a previous thread, but I thought it would be better to set it out and change it so that others can see the connection to Shakespeare immediately instead of flicking back and forth to separate links. Hope it's ok with you.

1) THE TRAGEDY OF HAMLET:

The GameTrailers video analysis has done a good job of connecting FFXV's plot to Hamlet so I'm not going to repeat what they have already said... But I am going to go into a bit more detail...

1.1) A treacherous brother? --- The Claudius connection:

A wolf in sheep's clothing?

During the confrontation, this man was standing next to Regis, separating him from the rest of the bodyguards, therefore hinting that he is Regis' right-hand man. This man is suspected of being either Gladiolus' father or Regis' brother... He cannot be both, as that would make Noctis and Gladiolus cousins which I'm pretty sure they're not! So I'm going to go with this man being Regis' brother for now...

Remember Regis was talking to someone about being the last king? It was confirmed that this someone wasn't Noctis and if Noctis has no siblings, then who else would be talking to the king about ruling and such if not someone related to Regis?

During Regis' confrontation with White Robe Man (let's call him Idola to make things easier), magic swords versus guns shouldn't be a problem. After all, we've seen Noctis block both bullets and bazooka with his swords. So if Regis dies here, then what went wrong?

In the play, Claudius murdered his brother, the King, by pouring poison into his ear.

Now, while Regis' brother may not resort to poison down the ear, there are certainly other ways to kill off the King. He may have been the traitor among the bodyguards, caught Regis off-guard and stabbed him in the back - literally... Idola would then order the Niflheim military to crash the peace party - literally, eliminate Noctis and launch a full-scale attack on Lucis and the "Lucii followers".

1.2) Betrayal of friendship? --- The Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Connection:

In the play, Claudius sends for two of Hamlet's aquaintances, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to spy on Hamlet.

We know that Noctis, Gladiolus and Ignis have been friends for a long time, possibly since they were children with Prompto being a new or recent friend.

As of yet, I have no reason to suspect Gladiolus or Cor - as members of a royal guard, they seem bound in their duty to protect Noctis (although Cor does seem to harbor a few secrets). But remember how everyone was suspicious of Ignis? They might not be so far off...

Plotting something Ignis?
    Prompto is the only character not making eye contact. Is he hiding something?

Ignis may be Noctis' childhood friend, but people do change over the years and friends can become enemies in some way. By being Noctis' advisor/strategist, Ignis is in a perfect position to manipulate him - it would be easy to play on Noctis' emotions after his father's death. Ignis could very well get Noctis to fall into his trap and do his bidding under the guise of it being "good advice"... And if not Ignis, then the radar will surely fall on Prompto since he's the "new friend" and "wears a chip on his shoulder as an outsider to the royal circle"...

1.3) Perceiving the truth? --- The Philosophical Connection:

In Hamlet, the play expresses the idea that nothing is real except in the mind of the individual. In other words, we all perceive and interpret the truth and our actions differently.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"
    The FFXV trailers have taken this quote directly from Hamlet. The relevance of this quote could apply to a number of people in FFXV and plays with the idea of who you may think is "good" or "bad"?

Enemies of Noctis >> Since Noctis' family supposedly acts similar to a Japanese mafia which could be considered "bad", Niflheim's actions to dethrone the Caelum family could be seen as justified... However, there's nothing "good" about invading other countries like Solheim, Accordo and Tenebrae for no apparent reason other than for world domination... So I don't think this quote particularly applies here...

Friends of Noctis >> Keep your friends close and your enemies closer... One of Noctis' friends may be taking this to heart and it would certainly add to the theme of betrayal - it would also mirror Regis' trust in his bodyguards if his brother(?) is a traitor... Alternatively, Noctis may develop trust issues, becoming suspicious of his friends and thinking that one of them is a traitor even though they really are loyal to him... Hence the "thinking makes it so" part of the quote.

Noctis' actions >> Remember Noctis wanting to get revenge 100-fold? Vengeance, anger, despair and bitterness aren't exactly positive feelings and Noctis may sink into a dark hole of despair, thinking of nothing else but to avenge his father and country. And in his quest for revenge, Noctis' moral compass will be tested - he may do questionable things that may hurt his friends and the innocent... In other words, Noctis may think he's doing a "good" thing, but he's going about it in a "bad" way.

Stella's actions >> Stella's role in the story in not yet known. She was at the peace party, she is from Tenebrae, Niflheim invaded Tenebrae, so why is she one of the antagonists? I don't believe that Stella is a spy, but she certainly has other intentions if she has chosen not to side with and help Noctis. She may be on a mission for the purpose of the "greater good", but Noctis sees her as an enemy... He may believe that anyone who isn't with him, is against him and therefore "bad". In addition, Stella may also be doing questionable things for what she believes is for the "greater good"...

1.4) Struggling with sanity? --- The Hamlet and Psychoanalytical Connection:

This is how you do a headlock!

It is said that Noctis can laugh and joke with his friends as seen with Gladiolus and Prompto's little friendly headlock tussle. However, he is shy around strangers, but puts on a cool demenour in order to hide this.

Nomura said that this was seen in Noctis' conversation with Stella - note how he started walking away from her when she asked him about seeing the light. He also makes little eye contact with her, cuts the conversation short by saying that he needs to go and tries to act cool at the end by making a joke about her seeing nightmares. As humans, we all hide a bit of our true personality from strangers. It is only natural that we feel comfortable around our friends.

It's considered rude if you walk away when someone asks you a question, Noctis...

In the play, Hamlet behaves in a strange and erratic manner to throw off suspicions and unsettle Claudius.

GameTrailers connects Hamlet's behaviour to Noctis' dark clothing and brooding ways. But I'm going to connect it to something else: In the trailers that we've seen so far, the dialogue hints that Noctis may be very cocky about his powers, acting rashly and charging toward the enemy without thinking. I don't know if this is an erratic act to unsettle his enemies, but if it is, then to what extent will Noctis stop acting erratic and actually start becoming erratic?

Throughout the play, Hamlet struggles with whether and how to avenge his father's murder, and struggles with his own sanity along the way.

The death of Regis will be the catalyst to a change in Noctis' personality. Emotions are the very core of our existance and depending on the intensity of each feeling, it can make us who we are or change us. Take a look at what I believe could be a progression of Noctis' emotions:

Sadness > Despair > Bitterness > Anger > Hatred > Vengeance > Madness

A dark change in Noctis' personality...

When each emotion intensifies, it becomes something else. If we cannot let go or control our emotions, obsession takes over and puts our sanity to the test. This is what Hamlet struggled with and I'm sure Noctis will struggle with this too.

1.5) Blinded by love? --- The Ophelia Connection:

In the play, Ophelia falls in love with Hamlet, is courted by him, becomes distressed by his strange behaviour, feels heartbroken by his rejection of her and eventually goes mad.

The GameTrailers video has linked Stella to Ophelia and I'll admit, I'm having trouble connecting these two characters. Ophelia appears to be a vulnerable character, easily hurt by harsh replies and rejection. We've only seen Stella in her conversation and confrontation with Noctis, but even with the lack of information, she appears to be made out of much stronger stuff than Ophelia - with the ability to stay true to her beliefs, to speak her mind, to get to the point and to not fear a harsh reply.

Noctis and Stella may have been childhood friends and they may have feelings for each other, but how far would this relationship go and how long would it last? Would Noctis reject Stella similarly to how Hamlet rejected Ophelia? Stella is not weak-minded, so I'm pretty sure she wouldn't get depressed and kill herself just because Noctis doesn't return her feelings...

With that said, it's been difficult to connect Stella to Ophelia's vulnerability and weakness at rejection. There is one connection I can make that would be very interesting...

In the play, Hamlet mistakingly kills Ophelia's father, Polonius. Ophelia is eventually driven to madness, tormented by a combination of both Hamlet's rejection and grief for her father's death.

We do not know much about Stella's family except that they are wealthy, noble and hail from Tenebrae... If there is a Polonius in FFXV, what role would he have to play in the war? Would Noctis, in his quest for revenge, go too far with a relative of Stella? And would Stella follow in Noctis' progression of emotions, leading to and intensifying into eventual madness?

I'm not sure as to how far Nomura would push Stella's mental state, because this particular situation and connection to Ophelia is quite extreme. It may seem improbable, but it's certainly not impossible... Either way, Noctis and Stella will have a complicated relationship.

The epic showdown...

2) THE TRAGEDY OF ROMEO AND JULIET:

Final Fantasy XV is not a love story. Noctis and Stella are not young, foolish lovers who end up killing themselves due to a misunderstanding. I do not believe that the situation or personality of Noctis and Stella can be connected to the situation or personality of the characters, Romeo and Juliet.

However, I do believe that we can connect Noctis and Stella to the symbols of Romeo and Juliet...

2.1) Feelings amidst a war? --- The connection to symbols of love:

Romeo and Juliet have become the symbols of young lovers and doomed love.

We know that Noctis and Stella do not wish to fight each other, but have to due to their allegiances. I'm not particularly sure how Nomura would develop a romantic relationship between these two, since FFXV's plot is not focused on romance.

However, Romeo and Juliet managed such a relationship despite the fact that they came from rival families. I do not know how far a romance sub-plot would go in FFXV, but I do believe that Noctis and Stella have feelings for each other... The question is: Will their feelings for each other result in a doomed love?

2.2) Past, present and future? --- The connection to symbols of fate and chance:

It is not known whether Romeo and Juliet were truly fated to die together or whether the events take place by a series of unlucky chances. They have often been described as "star-cross'd" - a phrase which seems to hint that the stars have predetermined the lovers' future.

"A meeting predestined by the divine"
    This quote in FFXV is very symbolic as it connects itself to the theme of fate and chance found in Romeo and Juliet. But instead of being predestined by the stars, the meeting has been predestined by the divine or god. The connection sounds simple enough, but I'm going to analyze this quote further... Many people seem to have missed that this quote is hinted to have a dual meaning.

It was said that Noctis and Stella met for the first time at the peace treaty party. I would have accepted that, however, in the latest FFXV reveal trailer, we were shown a flashback scene with who looks to be a young Stella running with Noctis. Though it has not been confirmed, it is hinted that they were childhood friends.

If this is true, then why did they act as though it was the first time they had met, with Noctis even asking Stella her name? You could argue that they were separated when they were young and met for the first time as adults at the party... I can understand if Noctis did not recognize Stella, but surely Stella would know her childhood friend was the Prince of Lucis, so even if he did grow up and look different, she would know who he is, make the connection and say "Hey, remember the good ol' days?"

We also know that Noctis and Stella suffered a near-death experience as children. Did this near-death experience happen while they were together? And if so, could this mean that they started seeing the light at the same time? And could that event have been so traumatic that it erased their memories of each other?

A forgotten past?

I believe that fate and chance will play a very important part in this game if a series of events keep bringing Noctis and Stella together, whether it be in the past, present or future. If all the above is true, then Noctis and Stella may have met as children, played together, shared a near-death experience, started seeing the light together at the same time and have now met again as adults...

Therefore, the quote's dual meaning is this: Noctis and Stella were either destined to meet for the first time at that party or they were destined to meet again....

2.3) Light and dark? --- The connection to symbols of duality:

It is noted that Shakespeare makes widespread use of light and dark imagery throughout Romeo and Juliet.

There are contrasting symbols everywhere...

It's easy to see how the colours black and white are used to contrast various characters in FFXV. In most media, societies and cultures, the colour white is often associated with the "good side" while the colour black is often associated with the "bad side". In FFXV, the symbolism is reversed with the black colours of Noctis and Lucis and the white colours of Stella and Niflheim. But besides the contrasting of Noctis and Stella's clothing, their names are also significant...

In the play, Romeo and Juliet use several metaphors to describe each other. These particular ones stand out for me:
    Romeo describes Juliet as, "A jewel sparkling in the night".
    Juliet describes Romeo as, "A day in night".

It's interesting to note that both Noctis and Stella have a reference to light and dark in their names:

Noctis = Latin for "Night"
    Lucis = Latin for "Light"
    Caelum = Latin for "Sky"

Stella = Latin for "Star"
    Nox = Latin for "Night" or "Darkness"
    Fleuret = French for "Rapier"

Noctis Lucis Caelum = "Light of the Night Sky"
    Stella Nox Fleuret = "Night Star" / "Star in the Darkness" / "Star of Darkness" + reference to fencing foil.

Romeo's description of Juliet refers to how she is like the stars at night which fits into the meaning of Stella's name. Likewise, Juliet's description of Romeo refers to how he is the daylight that illuminates the night which also fits into the meaning of Noctis' name.

The symbols of duality can be taken a step further. The contrasting of light and dark symbols can also be expanded as symbols contrasting love and hate, happiness and sadness, war and peace, sanity and insanity, youth and age. I'm sure you have already made the connection so there's no need to explain these...

2.4) Star-crossed? --- The connection to symbols of time:

The word "star-crossed" is a reference to destiny and fate. I have mentioned this word before, but did not go into detail about where the word came from.

In Shakespeare's time, lovers who are designated as "star-cross'd" refers to an astrologic belief associated with time. Stars were thought to control the fates of humanity and as time passed, the stars would move along their course in the sky, also charting the course of human lives below.

Noctis and Stella's destinies are intertwined in some way, referencing the thought that stars control the fates of humanity. And as time passes, Noctis and Stella's actions in the game, whether positive or negative, will influence each other. After all, every action has a reaction and this references the thought of how the stars will chart their course based on the decisions that they make...

When Stella's name was first revealed, many people thought that her name sounded too "ordinary" and "boring". But when we look at the meaning behind it, we can better understand why Nomura chose this name for her. While Noctis is the main character, I believe that Stella, as the "star", will be an important influence in his life. There is also another connection to the symbol of time...

Time is an important factor in setting the mood for Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare often used references to the night and day, the stars, the moon, and the sun to create the illusion of day and night in his plays.

A storm is approaching...

The weather and time of day looks like it's going to play a role in the mood or setting of FFXV. Besides changing from day to night, there is also a symbolic reference to the weather. Notice how the dark clouds appear in the sky as the Niflheim airships approach Accordo, symbolizing the impending invasion... Also, notice how it's raining when Idola and Burgandy Man exit the palace - possibly after killing Regis, therefore symbolizing the sadness at the death of a king...

3) THE REALITY AND FANTASY:

The GameTrailers video may relate the story to Hamlet, but what would the point be for Nomura to just copy Hamlet? That'd be too easy, too predictable and he may as well just tell the audience now to brush up on their Shakespeare, read the play and get finished!

3.1) The reality becomes the foundation?

"This is a fantasy based on reality"
    I'd like to think that FFXV is it's own story and just simply draws it's inspiration and themes from Shakespeare... The war with Niflheim forms the reality part of the story and is simply the basis for the fantasy part. In other words, the war with Niflheim forms only a part of the story. This is further substantiated here:

"The struggle for the crystal is merely a prologue to the chronicles of a new era"
    Prologues are simply background stories that establish the characters and setting and will eventually open up into the main story. Using Hamlet as a reference, FFXV's plot of the Niflheim war may be predictable, but it is only predictable up to a certain point... I firmly believe that this story will become it's own once the "prologue" is finished and we move onto the "fantasy" plot...

3.2) Factors at the forefront of something bigger?

It may seem at first that Noctis is hell-bent on revenge against Niflheim and getting the crystal back, but then that would be too simple and we'd know the whole story already... Certain characters and factors will come into play once the "reality" plot is over and the "fantasy" plot begins...

A connection to Etro?

The crystal >> The crystal will without a doubt, play a role in both the reality and fantasy part of the story. It is the driving force behind FFXV as well as the source of power and greed.

The hooded man >> He says that "the world we purport to know is ever changing, ending as we speak"... He's either talking about Niflheim invading the world or something else... He seems to be aligned with Niflheim, but he may just be manipulating them to start a war and take the crystal for himself... After all, it's easier to steal a crystal when you've got the firepower of the Niflheim military and the distraction of a war...

The goddess Etro >> This deity will obviously form the "fantasy" part of this story since this is a fantasy based on reality. Etro may have bestowed some sort of power to Noctis and Stella and what connection would she have to the crystal and the "world ending"?

The ability to see the light >> Noctis and Stella have been able to see the light since they were children. We know that they had not received any power since then, because they were talking about it during the party and that it would "give them nightmares" if the power "came at the cost of someone's life". Which means they might have received a power sometime after the party... The question is: What is that power?

Warping? --- Noctis has been confirmed to be the only one able to do this...
    Summoning weapons? --- Both Noctis and Stella have been shown doing this...
    Eyes that see the light of expiring souls? --- We know that Noctis has this, but it has not been confirmed if Stella shares this power... I don't know about Noctis being able to talk to his dead father, but this power certainly plays a big role somewhere in the story...

3.3) Stella's involvement in the story?

This scene first introduces Stella. It is a wonderful example of powerful imagery, setting the tone and emphasizing how important she will be.

Nomura said that Stella will "stand out" from the rest of female characters in the series though he did not specify how... So will she stand out in terms of personality or in terms of her situation and plot?

Personality:
    Kind / caring / determined girl? --- That's been done with Aerith, Rinoa, Garnet and Yuna...
    Cute / innocent / overly hyper girl? --- That's been done with Yuffie, Selphie, Rikku and Penelo...
    Serious / badass / hot as hell girl? --- That's been done with Ashe, Fran, Lightning and Fang....

Plot:
    By opposing Noctis and then swapping sides? --- That's been done before with Celes and perhaps Fang...
    Love interest? --- That's been done so many times though admittedly, I'm a sucker for romance so bring it on if only for a short while...
    Badass female who doesn't need a man to save them? --- That's been done with Lightning and Fang. Enough said.
    Death of a character? - That's also been done and I won't say more...

My suspicions of Stella are mentioned throughout this post - she definitely seems to have other intentions and a different goal. I know that FFXV is part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis lore, so she may serving a god for a higher purpose, but then that is certainly no different to what Lightning is doing...

Either way, I'm sure Stella will surprise us... The latest trailer so far, hasn't revealed much more about Stella other than showing her in a flashback and her new portrait at the end, which makes me think Nomura and SE are trying very hard to hide her involvement, because she probably has a much larger role to play.

3.4) A tragic end?

Many people have simply stated that Noctis and/or Stella will die at the end of the game, but I believe that this would be too predictable and an easy way out to end the story... If FFXV was based entirely on Hamlet, then yes, you would be able to predict the ending and who dies.

But remember, it appears that only the "prologue" is based on Shakespeare's tragedies. What follows afterwards, may be a completely unpredictable, fantastical plot. And while I'm sure it will continue to draw themes from Shakespeare, it is impossible to tell how this game will end.

If Noctis and/or Stella are fated to die, then I believe that it's not the death itself, but the events leading up to the death that will shock us and move us to tears... One thing for sure is, whether they meet a tragic end or not, there will be death somewhere in this game...

4) CONCLUSION

I have had so much fun writing this and I must say that as I went deeper and deeper into my analysis, I have gained a better understanding as to how Nomura thinks... Although, I cannot say if these connections were intentional or unintentional on Nomura's part.

Either way, there are definitely strong Shakespearean influences. Final Fantasy XV appears to have connections to the characters of Hamlet and the symbols of Romeo and Juliet.

As for the reality and fantasy, the first part of the game may be about getting the crystal back, getting revenge on Niflheim and Noctis' descent into darkness... But since this is just "a prologue for the chronicles of a new era", Stella will be revealed to play a huge part in something much bigger that may involve Noctis, Etro and the fate of the world... After all, Noctis and Stella's destinies are intertwined and "predestined by the divine"...

With all that said, this is really going to be a game unlike any Final Fantasy we have seen. Dark, mature and epic, I sure as hell look forward to it!

Note:
    I apologize if you feel that my analysis has spoiled the game for you. It was certainly not my intention. I only wished to better understand how the game came into being and wanted to share my findings with everyone. But remember, I've only discussed the potential "prologue" of this game. And I'm sure that the story that follows will take us completely by surprise!

5) QUESTIONS

Here's some questions to help get everyone started - it's not necessary to answer them all or any of them, but you are welcome to give it a bash!

5.1) Do you think Final Fantasy XV has any connections to other Shakespearean plays, whether it be character-related, plot-related or theme-related?

5.2) How would you feel about playing a character whose moral compass doesn't always point in the right direction? How do you think Noctis' friends will feel about his questionable actions?

5.3) How far do you think Noctis will go to exact revenge and do you think it will affect his mental state like it did with Hamlet?

5.4) How far do you think Stella will go to achieve her goals and will it affect her mental state as well?

5.5) In what way do you think Stella will "stand out" from the rest of the female characters in the series? Do you believe that she is stronger than the female characters portrayed in Shakespeare?

5.6) Noctis and Stella may have feelings for each other. Do you think Noctis and Stella's actions in the story will culminate to a point where they cannot forgive each other?

5.7) It is believed that the "reality" part of the story is based on Shakespeare and the "fantasy" part is based on the Fabula Nova Crystallis lore, but do you think that the "fantasy" plot will still have ties to Shakespeare?

5.8) With Noctis and Stella at the forefront of something bigger, what other factors do you think will come into play?

5.9) Noctis has "eyes that see the light of expiring souls". Do you think he will be able to converse with the dead similarly to how Hamlet spoke to his father's ghost? Or do you think it has another function? And do you think Stella shares this power?

5.10) Do you think Final Fantasy XV will follow the same Fabula Nova Crystallis lore of Final Fantasy XIII or do you think it will be reinterpreted?

Thank you for taking the time to read my analysis. If there is anything in the analysis that you disagree with or wish to discuss, you may do so.
    DO NOT QUOTE THIS ENTIRE POST BECAUSE IT'S LOOONG! Just quote a selected paragraph or line and discuss it. I would be very happy to hear feedback or arguments to my analysis.
    Last edited by NightOwl; 08-07-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Default Re: Final Fantasy XV Plot (so far) and the Shakespearean Connection

wow as I can see, again a really good post,
    but ill read it tomorrow.
    I am really excited about this. ;)
    Fools set the rules in this world.
    Just take a look around. It's undeniable.

News Translator Site Staff Zephyr's Avatar

Hah you finally posted it. I'll comment on it a little later. Great job btw.

Please support my quest to be an accomplished 3D Artist by leaving a comment, sharing, or just liking my work!
    https://brianho.squarespace.com/

Everybody make sure you give increase rep to NightOwl... she's at it again with her beautiful posts. >_>

I need to read and gather myself cause I can't absorb everything. Hold on.
    When someone shows thee aggression, don't turn the other cheek, turn the other butt cheek instead. - Jesus of FXN

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post
    Hey everybody,
    Here's some questions to help get everyone started - it's not necessary to answer them all, but you are welcome to give it a bash!

5.3) How far do you think Noctis will go to exact revenge and do you think it will affect his mental state like it did with Hamlet?

5.4) How far do you think Stella will go to achieve her goals and will it affect her mental state as well?

5.5) In what way do you think Stella will "stand out" from the rest of the female characters in the series? Do you believe that she is stronger than the female characters portrayed in Shakespeare?

5.6) Noctis and Stella may have feelings for each other. Do you think Noctis and Stella's actions in the story will culminate to a point where they cannot forgive each other?

5.8) With Noctis and Stella at the forefront of something bigger, what other factors do you think will come into play?

5.9) Noctis has "eyes that see the light of expiring souls". Do you think he will be able to converse with the dead similarly to how Hamlet spoke to his father's ghost? Or do you think it has another function? And do you think Stella shares this power?

Thank you for taking the time to read my analysis. If there is anything that you disagree with or wish to discuss, you may do so.
    DO NOT QUOTE THIS ENTIRE POST BECAUSE IT'S LOOONG! Just quote a selected paragraph or line and discuss it. I would be very happy to hear feedback or arguments to my analysis.
    Nice post man!!

I also think Noct will be hell bent on avenging his father, he will stop at nothing to kill everyone responsible. Seeing as he is an impulsive person, Noct will really do this. perhaps he might try a one man army and get scolded by his friends..
    then there is the dilemma that is Stella, who will probably be the "doubt" in Noct's mind about revenge. If there relationship is something important to both of them, I can see that Stella will play a great role in changing Noctis for the good or bad.

I also think Stella has her own objectives and is feigning allegiance to Nefilheim. She may be doing it to protect Tenebrae by lending Nefilheim her power. then there is the dilemma that is Noctis, who will be the "doubt" in Stella's mind. We may not know Stella's objectives as of now but Noctis doesn't seem to happy about it.

I just had a weird idea in my head. I really want Noct and Stella to have that love/hate relationship in the game, I want them to kill eachothers' friends, family... but I also want them to survive in the end of the game and be lovers. I mean, wouldn't it be helluva tragic if your lover is the one that killed the people you care about? And their relationship will forever be complicated. but they stick together because they are the only ones who know and have been through the same horrible war experience together..

and.. can we have a Gundam inspired story line for this game? pretty please...

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis0Caelum View Post
    wow as I can see, again a really good post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Hah you finally posted it. I'll comment on it a little later. Great job btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    Everybody make sure you give increase rep to NightOwl... she's at it again with her beautiful posts. >_>
    Lol @Noctis0Caelum, Zephyr and Jesus

Thanks guys, I know its long, but hope you all enjoy it! I look forward to any feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by rakusukira View Post
    Nice post man!!

I also think Noct will be hell bent on avenging his father, he will stop at nothing to kill everyone responsible. Seeing as he is an impulsive person, Noct will really do this. perhaps he might try a one man army and get scolded by his friends..
    then there is the dilemma that is Stella, who will probably be the "doubt" in Noct's mind about revenge. If there relationship is something important to both of them, I can see that Stella will play a great role in changing Noctis for the good or bad.

I also think Stella has her own objectives and is feigning allegiance to Nefilheim. She may be doing it to protect Tenebrae by lending Nefilheim her power. then there is the dilemma that is Noctis, who will be the "doubt" in Stella's mind. We may not know Stella's objectives as of now but Noctis doesn't seem to happy about it.

I just had a weird idea in my head. I really want Noct and Stella to have that love/hate relationship in the game, I want them to kill eachothers' friends, family... but I also want them to survive in the end of the game and be lovers. I mean, wouldn't it be helluva tragic if your lover is the one that killed the people you care about? And their relationship will forever be complicated. but they stick together because they are the only ones who know and have been through the same horrible war experience together..
    Depending on Stella's actions and intentions in the fantasy part of the game, I think she may either serve as the "doubt" in Noctis' rampage, or the "catalyst" for it...
    In other words, she may either help bring Noctis back from madness... or drive him into madness...

I don't know what side Stella is on or where her allegiances lie... We know that she is an antagonist, but what kind of antagonist? The good? The bad? We don't know.. But either way, she'll be playing in integral part in his life...
    Last edited by NightOwl; 07-16-2013 at 10:23 AM.

~ "Just a Night Owl living my days with passion, purpose and pizzazz!" ~

@NightOwl
    And again, another epic post of you. ;)
    I really like the pictures you added. This was the exciting and I could imagine it better.

This quote in FFXV is very symbolic as it connects itself to the theme of fate and chance found in Romeo and Juliet. But instead of being predestined by the stars, the meeting has been predestined by the divine or god. The connection sounds simple enough, but I'm going to analyze this quote further... Many people seem to have missed that this quote is hinted to have a dual meaning.

It was said that Noctis and Stella met for the first time at the peace treaty party. I would have accepted that, however, in the latest FFXV reveal trailer, we were shown a flashback scene with who looks to be a young Stella running with Noctis. Though it has not been confirmed, it is hinted that they were childhood friends.

If this is true, then why did they act as though it was the first time they had met, with Noctis even asking Stella her name? You could argue that they were separated when they were young and met for the first time as adults at the party... I can understand if Noctis did not recognize Stella, but surely Stella would know her childhood friend was the Prince of Lucis, so even if he did grow up and look different, she would know who he is, make the connection and say "Hey, remember the good ol' days?"

We also know that Noctis and Stella suffered a near-death experience as children. Did this near-death experience happen while they were together? And if so, could this mean that they started seeing the light at the same time? And could that event have been so traumatic that it erased their memories of each other?

A forgotten past?
    This part is very exciting.^^
    Your right, in the party, Noctis and Stella should recognize to each other, because they already met together in the past.
    But why are they "playing" as nothing happens in their childhood?
    Perhaps they or one of them lost the memories, because of the light?
    I think Noctis didn't recognize Stella like you said, because first he looked at her normal.

But than it seems at the same time, he has probably some flashbacks of this girl, but can not remember it, who it was.

And than he talked to someone with, "Goodbye, whatever you are."
    Probably to Stella.

Stella looked at Noctis trustful and smiles, maybe she just do this by everyone.^^

But in the Trailer 2011, she looked at him sad, perhaps just because he said goodbye to someone and wanted to go now
    or Stella saw at Noctis and knew that he didn't remembers her.

And than there was also someone, who talked to Noctis by "Who are you?"
    But he asked him the same.
    Hm who was that??
    Etro?

The weather and time of day looks like it's going to play a role in the mood or setting of FFXV. Besides changing from day to night, there is also a symbolic reference to the weather. Notice how the dark clouds appear in the sky as the Niflheim airships approach Accordo, symbolizing the impending invasion... Also, notice how it's raining when Idola and Burgandy Man exit the palace - possibly after killing Regis, therefore symbolizing the sadness at the death of a king...
    I don't think so that the rain symbolizes the death of Regis.
    I believe this scene was after a meeting with proceedings and preparations.
    The day after was probably the crush of Lucis. Therefore the rain for the upcoming war.
    Last edited by Noctis0Caelum; 07-16-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    Fools set the rules in this world.
    Just take a look around. It's undeniable.

@NightOwl
    And again, another epic post of you. ;)
    I really like the pictures you added. This was the exciting and I could imagine it better.
    Thanks Noctis0Caelum... I find the pictures helped to break the text-heavy analysis

Probably to Stella.
    Nah... Stella walks off after offering to show him Tenebrae. After he and Stella say goodbye, Noctis looks up and says that...

But in the Trailer 2011, she looked at him sad, perhaps just because he said goodbye to someone and wanted to go now
    If they both lost their memories of each other, I can understand why they acted the way they did... But if one of them still remembers the other, then one of them is lying and playing on the memory loss - acting as though it's the first time they met... The main suspect here would be Stella...

I don't think so that the rain symbolizes the death of Regis.
    I believe this scene was after a meeting with proceedings and preparations.
    The day after was probably the crush of Lucis. Therefore the rain for the upcoming war.
    Look on the right side of the screenshot.. There's a dead bodyguard there... I think Idola and co. are leaving after the stand-off and murdering of Regis... Plus he says it's high time they sever the line of Lucis - that means getting rid of the royal line and heirs of the country > Noctis.
    Me thinks Burgandy Man will be hunting Noctis down throughout the game...

@Noctis0Caelum and Katherine - Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by NightOwl; 07-16-2013 at 07:20 PM.

~ "Just a Night Owl living my days with passion, purpose and pizzazz!" ~

@NightOwl

This part is very exciting.^^
    Your right, in the party, Noctis and Stella should recognize to each other, because they already met together in the past.
    But why are they "playing" as nothing happens in their childhood?
    Perhaps they or one of them lost the memories, because of the light?
    I think Noctis didn't recognize Stella like you said, because first he looked at her normal.

But than it seems at the same time, he has probably some flashbacks of this girl, but can not remember it, who it was.

Probably to Stella.

Stella looked at Noctis trustful and smiles, maybe she just do this by everyone.^^

And than there was also someone, who talked to Noctis by "Who are you?"
    But he asked him the same.
    Hm who was that??
    Etro?
    i also think Stella remembers him, but Noctis does not. This should be the peace party scene right? Stella might be deciding to get close to him again because of the peace treaty that will end the cold war, thus inviting him to Tenebrae. But seeing as the peace treaty didn't go well, Stella's actions i.e. appearing to Noctis again and inviting him to Tenebrae, became the "reason" for their undecided feelings.

And i really think their will be a meadow scene again where Noctis will remember her and things will get even more complicated

Oh my, we're going all paranoic The game doesn't even have a release date yet, and we're already afraid of traitors

5.1) Do you think Final Fantasy XV has any connections to other Shakespearean plays, whether it be character-related, plot-related or theme-related? I'll skip this one, since I only know Romeo and Juliet

5.2) How would you feel about playing a character whose moral compass doesn't always point in the right direction? How do you think Noctis' friends will feel about his questionable actions? The main protagonists aren't usually pure good, sugar and rainbows. They often question their actions and morality. Like AVALANCHE in FF7 - technically they were trying to save the planet, but how did it end? Noct seems to be a troubled person, and I don't really think he knows what he's doing. He's trying his best to protect Lucis... But does he really care about it, besides the fact it's his duty? We'll see.

5.3) How far do you think Noctis will go to exact revenge and do you think it will affect his mental state like it did with Hamlet? I guess he'll begin with planning the vengeance, but as his journey proceeds, he won't be so sure if it's worth it.

5.4) How far do you think Stella will go to achieve her goals and will it affect her mental state as well? That depends on her goals. She seems to be forced to be in this war, either by someone having a power over her or by something she thinks she should do. When she stands with her back to the camera, she clearly looks troubled.

5.5) In what way do you think Stella will "stand out" from the rest of the female characters in the series? Do you believe that she is stronger than the female characters portrayed in Shakespeare? About "standing out"... I have no idea. But there are many types of personalities. I'll just trust Tetsuya Nomura's words.

5.6) Noctis and Stella may have feelings for each other. Do you think Noctis and Stella's actions in the story will culminate to a point where they cannot forgive each other? Come on, when he met her on that party she was shaking her hair in slow motion, that probably means something! But since "misery" is the main theme... I think it would be right to write a requiem for this newborn love/friendship I'm sure they won't end up together, no matter how I hope they would. Either because of death, hidden bitterness or both.

5.7) It is believed that the "reality" part of the story is based on Shakespeare and the "fantasy" part is based on the Fabula Nova Crystallis lore, but do you think that the "fantasy" plot will still have ties to Shakespeare? I don't know, I'll better skip this one too.

5.8) With Noctis and Stella at the forefront of something bigger, what other factors do you think will come into play? I have no idea. It's said that the struggle for the crystal is only the beginning of a tragedy... A divine conflict? But how would it be connected?

EDIT: I think FFXV could be the events leading to Bhunivelze's awakening. After all, both Type-0 and XIII were about deities trying to awaken the sleeping god. Same could be with FFXV. Even "Somnus" says about a sleeping god, and in the end there's a line "it's the time of the awakening". It's a little too obvious for me, though.

5.9) Noctis has "eyes that see the light of expiring souls". Do you think he will be able to converse with the dead similarly to how Hamlet spoke to his father's ghost? Or do you think it has another function? And do you think Stella shares this power? He has the ability to foresee someone's death. I think visually it would be the ability to see the soul slowly emerging from the body and then leaving for the Etro's gate.

5.10) Do you think Final Fantasy XV will follow the same Fabula Nova Crystallis lore of Final Fantasy XIII or do you think it will be reinterpreted?
    Reinpreted maybe? Different universe, different cultures - different interpretation and different myths. But based on the same deities.
    Last edited by Katherine; 07-16-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Because of you, because I always believed you were with me, I was never afraid of the future. Even nowIm not afraid.

My theory is that they were friends during the time Nilfheim has invaded Tenebrae. Stella could take him to Tenebrae and they accidentally happened to be on the battlefield, and this resulted in a near death experience, and possible amnesia of Noct. Regis was terrified because of what happened to his son and he separated Lucis from the rest of the world. But this theory has many holes.

Stella clearly knows Noct. The scene where she sees him for the first time is so cute - she smiles a little when she turns her head to someone walking on the stairs because she hopes it would be Noct. She's stunned for a little while... And then she smiles widely, because it really was Noct.

Because of you, because I always believed you were with me, I was never afraid of the future. Even nowIm not afraid.

Square doing all this Shakespearean connection with the upcoming FF XV isn't too surprising since they did the whole " Lord Avon " and " Canary Play " with Shakespearean speech in Final Fantasy 9.

Just shocked that they didn't do this sooner, like FF X or FF XII. xD

You did a very good job in constructing this thread Owl you have my respect.

But I will have to appologize to you, for I need to hold myself back from reading your thread and join in to analyze with you guys..

As I'm afraid over analyzing the story will reduce the satisfaction I will gain when I play the game later on.
    It's a pity that I can't join in. Truth is, I'm curious and very interested.

Anyway! by judging ppl's reactions, your hardwork in analyzing and writing were paid off! Congrats!!
    Last edited by Trabletoon; 07-17-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Hey, analyzing the story is very fun! I love predicting to kill the time until the release. Making big theories from the little pieces we've got. That's the best thing in waiting

But let's go back on topic

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Hey, analyzing the story is very fun! I love predicting to kill the time until the release. Making big theories from the little pieces we've got. That's the best thing in waiting

But let's go back on topic
    It really is fun rite! i enjoy speculating and analyzing too myself but maybe XV had reserved a special place in my heart now that I care so much