Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Fantasy XV Plot (so far) and the Shakespearean Connection

Default Re: Final Fantasy XV Plot (so far) and the Shakespearean Connection

Now this is a quality post. I'd rep you but you're still the last person I rep'd, so the next time I rep somebody else I'll come back to this thread and rep you again

Anyway, these Shakespearean references are really giving this game's plot a whole new dimension in my opinion. Even though we don't know the extent of the connections, or what unique plot points will be added in to the mix, it's clear that this Shakespearean base has given Nomura and co a great foundation to build the game's story upon.

To answer your questions:

5.1) Do you think Final Fantasy XV has any connections to other Shakespearean plays, whether it be character-related, plot-related or theme-related?
    My knowledge on Shakespeare is mostly limited to Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet and Macbeth, so I don't really have the knowledge to comment on this.

5.2) How would you feel about playing a character whose moral compass doesn't always point in the right direction? How do you think Noctis' friends will feel about his questionable actions?
    I'd love to play as a protagonist who's motivations are neither "good" nor "bad", but blur the line between the two. Judging from the storyline thus far, it seems that both Noctis and Stella both want to do the right thing, but posses different beliefs when it comes to determining the "right" way to use their power. The reality is that very few people in the world are truly good or bad, perhaps none at all. Mature stories that are able to blur the lines between good and bad are therefore almost always better than those that don't, atleast in my opinion. This is one of the reasons why I enjoyed XII's story, since Vayne's intention was to
    free humankind and give it back its autonomy
    , which is ultimately a commendable goal, but his methods were questionable and therefore his character was ultimately neither good nor bad - it just came down to the player's perception. If XV is able to replicate this sort of character development for its main characters, I'l be very happy.

5.3) How far do you think Noctis will go to exact revenge and do you think it will affect his mental state like it did with Hamlet?
    I can't say, I don't think we'll know exactly how far the Hamlet connection is going to go until we play the game.

5.4) How far do you think Stella will go to achieve her goals and will it affect her mental state as well?
    See 5.3

5.5) In what way do you think Stella will "stand out" from the rest of the female characters in the series? Do you believe that she is stronger than the female characters portrayed in Shakespeare?
    So far I find her more interesting than a lot of other female characters purely based on her apparent 'neither villain nor hero' personality. She also appears to be strong-minded without being a total asshole, which is always a good thing in my mind. I can't make much comparison to Shakespeare's characters because of my aforementioned lack of knowledge on the subject.

5.6) Noctis and Stella may have feelings for each other. Do you think Noctis and Stella's actions in the story will culminate to a point where they cannot forgive each other?
    I think an element of love between the two characters is inevitable, but I'm not sure to what extent it will be taken. Based on what we've seen in the trailers so far, I have a feeling that one will have to kill the other (presumably Noctis killing Stella) since the two seem completely at-odds with each other in terms of their views of right and wrong and this doesn't seem like the type of game to have a happy-shmappy ending.

5.7) It is believed that the "reality" part of the story is based on Shakespeare and the "fantasy" part is based on the Fabula Nova Crystallis lore, but do you think that the "fantasy" plot will still have ties to Shakespeare?
    All fictional stories are part fantasy and part reality, the only thing that changes is which side the story leans more towards. I'll wait for more information before commenting further.

5.8) With Noctis and Stella at the forefront of something bigger, what other factors do you think will come into play?
    fal'Cie-like beings wanting to control or take over humanity. Fabula Nova Crystallis seems to be built around the concept of humanity following the will of or defying higher beings, I'd be very surprised XV didn't feature this as a central theme.

5.9) Noctis has "eyes that see the light of expiring souls". Do you think he will be able to converse with the dead similarly to how Hamlet spoke to his father's ghost? Or do you think it has another function? And do you think Stella shares this power?
    I believe that Stella will share Noctis' powers that are connected to being able to "see the light of expiring souls". What these powers are remains to be seen.

5.10) Do you think Final Fantasy XV will follow the same Fabula Nova Crystallis lore of Final Fantasy XIII or do you think it will be reinterpreted?
    Personally I hope that it reinterprets the Fabula Nova Crystallis elements so that the core themes remain similar, but aren't blatantly the same as they were in XIII. For example, if there are higher beings that play a significant role in the storyline (such as how Etro appears to), I hope they aren't referred to as fal'Cie. Fabula Nova Crystallis seems to have a good theme and concept that should be explored further but at the same time this game needs to be distanced from XIII also.

Hey hey, there's not much movement in this thread! Is everybody scared to post? Lol... I haven't heard much feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Trabletoon View Post
    But I will have to appologize to you, for I need to hold myself back from reading your thread and join in to analyze with you guys..
    As I'm afraid over analyzing the story will reduce the satisfaction I will gain when I play the game later on. It's a pity that I can't join in. Truth is, I'm curious and very interested.
    I've taken another look at my analysis and what I have mentioned in the Hamlet and Reality/Fantasy section has already been mentioned throughout the GameTrailers video. So if you've seen the video, then don't be afraid to read the analysis, because I don't think there's anything new... I've simply taken what we've seen already seen and heard from Nomura and smooshed it all together - okay, some parts may be a bit of my own or others' theories, but I think it's stuff you may already be aware of... Only the Romeo and Juliet section is sort of my own, but that is just about symbolism...

My aim is not to reduce the satisfaction of the story when playing it... My aim is to make you aware of the little and deeper things that you might miss in order to appreciate the story... (and maybe to make you a little paranoid - it's like watching a "whodunnit" movie, where you're suspicious of everyone! Lol)

(I know you and I spoke about this earlier, but I just wanted to let the rest of the forum members know in case they feel the same way as you...)

Quote Originally Posted by rakusukira View Post
    i also think Stella remembers him, but Noctis does not. This should be the peace party scene right? Stella might be deciding to get close to him again because of the peace treaty that will end the cold war, thus inviting him to Tenebrae. But seeing as the peace treaty didn't go well, Stella's actions i.e. appearing to Noctis again and inviting him to Tenebrae, became the "reason" for their undecided feelings.

And i really think their will be a meadow scene again where Noctis will remember her and things will get even more complicated
    I'm also suspicious of Stella in wondering if she remembers Noctis or not... Come to think of it, I wonder at what point during the invasion of the peace party does Noctis get out of his suit and change into his casual clothes? Lol... And where does Stella disappear when the airship comes crashing into the building? This makes you wonder if she knew about the impending invasion...?
    I also think Noctis is going to go through a number of memory-triggering events - remember in one of the trailers, you were controlling Noctis as a little boy in that forest/field place, looking for Regis...

Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    Square doing all this Shakespearean connection with the upcoming FF XV isn't too surprising since they did the whole " Lord Avon " and " Canary Play " with Shakespearean speech in Final Fantasy 9. Just shocked that they didn't do this sooner, like FF X or FF XII. xD
    I'm also surprised that SE didn't do the Shakespeare connection sooner! Okay this is not a FF game, but did you know that The Lion King was based off Hamlet as well? But of course, The Lion King ended quite differently and it became it's own story after a while... So I'm pretty sure and I hope that FFXV will also become it's own story.

FFXII definitely could have been the basis for a Shakespearean-inspired game with all it's political implications... But I think it's plot became so big that it ended up becoming an epic war and fight for freedom story. Shakespearean plays tend to deal with characters on a more personal level and I guess you could say the plot is very contained so that character development is more concentrated... A lot of people say FFXII was based loosely on the whole Star Wars saga... and when I think of it, they might not be far off...

Now all we need is a good Macbeth-inspired FF game... Mwahahaha... FFXVI anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Now this is a quality post. I'd rep you but you're still the last person I rep'd, so the next time I rep somebody else I'll come back to this thread and rep you again

Anyway, these Shakespearean references are really giving this game's plot a whole new dimension in my opinion. Even though we don't know the extent of the connections, or what unique plot points will be added in to the mix, it's clear that this Shakespearean base has given Nomura and co a great foundation to build the game's story upon.

To answer your questions:

5.2) How would you feel about playing a character whose moral compass doesn't always point in the right direction? How do you think Noctis' friends will feel about his questionable actions?
    I'd love to play as a protagonist who's motivations are neither "good" nor "bad", but blur the line between the two. Judging from the storyline thus far, it seems that both Noctis and Stella both want to do the right thing, but posses different beliefs when it comes to determining the "right" way to use their power. The reality is that very few people in the world are truly good or bad, perhaps none at all. Mature stories that are able to blur the lines between good and bad are therefore almost always better than those that don't, atleast in my opinion. This is one of the reasons why I enjoyed XII's story, since Vayne's intention was to
    free humankind and give it back its autonomy
    , which is ultimately a commendable goal, but his methods were questionable and therefore his character was ultimately neither good nor bad - it just came down to the player's perception. If XV is able to replicate this sort of character development for its main characters, I'l be very happy.

5.5) In what way do you think Stella will "stand out" from the rest of the female characters in the series? Do you believe that she is stronger than the female characters portrayed in Shakespeare?
    So far I find her more interesting than a lot of other female characters purely based on her apparent 'neither villain nor hero' personality. She also appears to be strong-minded without being a total asshole, which is always a good thing in my mind. I can't make much comparison to Shakespeare's characters because of my aforementioned lack of knowledge on the subject.

5.6) Noctis and Stella may have feelings for each other. Do you think Noctis and Stella's actions in the story will culminate to a point where they cannot forgive each other?
    I think an element of love between the two characters is inevitable, but I'm not sure to what extent it will be taken. Based on what we've seen in the trailers so far, I have a feeling that one will have to kill the other (presumably Noctis killing Stella) since the two seem completely at-odds with each other in terms of their views of right and wrong and this doesn't seem like the type of game to have a happy-shmappy ending.

5.10) Do you think Final Fantasy XV will follow the same Fabula Nova Crystallis lore of Final Fantasy XIII or do you think it will be reinterpreted?
    Personally I hope that it reinterprets the Fabula Nova Crystallis elements so that the core themes remain similar, but aren't blatantly the same as they were in XIII. For example, if there are higher beings that play a significant role in the storyline (such as how Etro appears to), I hope they aren't referred to as fal'Cie. Fabula Nova Crystallis seems to have a good theme and concept that should be explored further but at the same time this game needs to be distanced from XIII also.
    @Phoenix and Katherine: Thank you for answering my questions, I realize now, they are not simple questions, but you handled it well - I love your answers!

I love the last answer - I also don't want words like l'Cie and fal'Cie being thrown around. I kind of feel that those are words that help me identify and are characteristic to FFXIII. FFXV should have its own elements that make it characteristic and different from each of the games in the main series. For example, if I use words like half-esper, Buster Sword, time-compression and Spira, you would identify immediately which games I'm talking about, because each of the main series FF games are unique.

If l'Cie and fal'Cie both apply to FFXIII and FFXV, it makes them difficult to identify - ok sure, those aren't the only words one can use to identify, but those words were used a lot in FFXIII...

It's difficult because normally, a compilation series that shares the same story, setting or mythology usually consists of one main series FF game and a few spin-offs... Much like the FFVII compilation and the Ivalice Alliance. This time, the Fabula Nove Crystallis compilation consists of two main series games. I know FFXIII and FFXV will share the same mythology, but I think as Phoenix put it, there needs to be a bit of distance from FFXIII and the FNC mythology needs to be interpreted differently to make FFXV unique from FFXIII, yet still be a part of the compilation.
    Last edited by NightOwl; 07-26-2013 at 06:40 PM.

~ "Just a Night Owl living my days with passion, purpose and pizzazz!" ~

Shakespeare is the most influential author, follow http://livecustomwriting.com/blog/to...ssay-on-hamlet and read an essay on Hamlet!