Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Languages

Prince of Swiftness Site Manager Setzer007's Avatar

Default Re: Languages

I speak english and romanian. Romanian being my first language.

-setz-

The Doctor! Site Staff

I feel so inferior knowing only one language...have to up my game! Need to learn 2 1/2 languages by 29!

Sig and Avi by THE Val!

"Nice job you genetically perfect, cerberus, cheerleader bosh' tet! Keelah Selai!" ~Tali Zorah Vas Normandy

"The legend meets it's match, but the world is every changing...for the Fifteenth coming!"

@Kat Привет

@Fabian_CH Can't say that it's similar to any other language in any way. We use the cyrillic alphabet just like in Russian (see above ) but the grammar, pronunciation is totally different. Most people believe that it's similar to Chinese, but that's not the case. Well when I ask my foreign how does Mongolian language sound to them they say it's like eating chips guess it sounds pretty "hard".
    We also have an traditional script, it's not used daily now as we changed to cyrillic script, but my generation and the generation of my parents can read and write in it. It's written from left to right and from up to down
    Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_script
    I Think Therefore I Am

Oh, wow, that script looks like nothing I've seen before. Now I wonder what it sounds like. Ought to look for some samples on youtube or something

That's one thing about me, I can get really self-conscious about having a bad accent, so generally whenever I encounter a new language or anything, I'm immediately interested in learning what it sounds like, what sounds are specific to that language that don't occur in other languages etc., basically just to broaden my horizons and not stay stuck in the sound repertoire of Swiss German/German/English I'm often the geek who tries to pronounce people's names correctly while everybody else just doesn't care XD

Since I'm Malaysian, my national language is the Malay Language. It's a bit similar to the Indonesia language. I also can speak and write English and Mandarin ( though I suck ).

I plan to learn Japanese and French and improve my Mandarin in the future xD
    Just a Moon ;P
    Official Mato Kuroi/ Black Rock Shooter of FXN

I'm only proficient in English, though I'm trying to learn Japanese as a hobby alongside Kat.

I envy people that are able to speak multiple languages fluently, it's quite a good skill to have. We seem to have a good amount of multilingual members here which is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I envy people that are able to speak multiple languages fluently, it's quite a good skill to have. We seem to have a good amount of multilingual members here which is cool.
    I got that impression, which is why I thought it might be cool to bring it up with this thread I think it's really great to know different languages, even if those languages aren't precisely useful in daily life. Different languages use different concepts, different ways to think about things, expressed in vocabulary that doesn't quite translate (as just a trivial example, when colors are divided up differently), or in different grammar that makes you suddenly aware of the peculiarities of your own language, or (as you become more proficient) when you discover different idioms.

Mother tongue is English but I speak a bit of a few others. Learning Portuguese (well Brazilian Portuguese really since my 2 lecturers have been from Brazil, although my next will be from Portugal) in university alongside Spanish, which is my best other language since I've been studying it for about 7 years now from secondary / high school to university. Was supposed to be living in Spain the last year studying but had some health issues and it didn't happen. Also taught myself basic Italian a year or two back and loved it, and teaching myself Japanese now which I am enjoying even though I'm getting a tad lazy currently with it.

Maybe my knack with languages and enjoyment of them comes from being around other languages being spoken around me when young. Father is from India, had a friend from Ghana and another from China, step-father speaks Arabic, etc.

News Translator Site Staff Zephyr's Avatar

I feel accomplished knowing 3 languages now! (English, Chinese and Japanese)

But seriously though, one way to learn a foreign language is to date a girl/guy that speaks it natively, or immerse yourself directly in that society. You'll pick it up so fast you'll be fluent within a year. No joke.

P.S. Perhaps i should go date a Korean girl next to learn Korean ;]

Please support my quest to be an accomplished 3D Artist by leaving a comment, sharing, or just liking my work!
    https://brianho.squarespace.com/

The Fallen Angel Frimelda Lotice's Avatar

I am learning Spanish, but I suck at it. lol

I don't think the British are very adaptable.

American/Canadians on the other hand, usually those with immigrant parents, usually forget their parent's "native" language and start talking American/Canadian instead.

Edit: Why don't we create a "Speak a language" thread?

That way, we learn whilst discussing things!

Such as: Como te llamas? I am still learning how to say that to a bunch of people, lol.

¿Cuáles son sus nombres? perhaps?
    Last edited by Frimelda Lotice; 06-25-2013 at 11:21 AM.

My mother language is Italian, but I speak English and German, more or less XD.
    I would like to learn Japanese, because I think that have a beautiful sounds.

But seriously though, one way to learn a foreign language is to date a girl/guy that speaks it natively, or immerse yourself directly in that society. You'll pick it up so fast you'll be fluent within a year. No joke.
    True story.

"But, for me, star
    that never will stop from lighting,
    a too short time is granted you,
    you lavish me a light
    that in me does nothing but
    sharpen my despair."

-Ungaretti-

Quote Originally Posted by Frimelda Lotice View Post
    Edit: Why don't we create a "Speak a language" thread?
    What are you suggesting, exactly? A thread where we talk to each other in all the different languages we speak/don't speak yet?

The Fallen Angel Frimelda Lotice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian_CH View Post
    What are you suggesting, exactly? A thread where we talk to each other in all the different languages we speak/don't speak yet?
    Si. exactamente! Tu comprendes!

I still need to learn more, but I am taking it slowly.

Such as; Que quieres? Que van a tomar? Me llamo Frimelda o Luz de las Estrallas! Yo comprendo Espanol un poco. Eres Ingles/a? Soy de Ingles.

Trabajo. Como estas? Quiero un Vino Blanco o una Cerveza! Siga todo recto, el primero calle a la izquieda gira. (I could be wrong on the last one since I struggle on where verbs/adjectives go)
    Last edited by Frimelda Lotice; 06-26-2013 at 02:52 PM.

I know English, Portuguese and Spanish.

I wanna learn Japanese but i don't have motivation for it.

Oooh this is an interesting thread - lovely to see so many multilingual people in this forum!

Let's see... My main language is English, but I can also speak Afrikaans...

And here's a few funny things:

I'm Chinese, but don't understand a stitch of Mandarin - I can pick up a few bits and pieces of Cantonese if my parents speak it, but don't have a conversation with me, because I will stare at you like you're stupid... LOL... (or maybe I'm the stupid one... Lol)

I've picked up a bit of Japanese from the anime I watch - only keywords and basic stuff... But I find Japanese easier to pronounce than Cantonese - holy smokes, I suck balls at pronouncing Cantonese, because I end up making a whole new sentence instead...

I can also pronounce isiXhosa and understand a few basic keywords...

Other than that... That's all I got in my arsenal...
    Last edited by NightOwl; 03-08-2014 at 09:06 PM.

~ "Just a Night Owl living my days with passion, purpose and pizzazz!" ~