Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FFK's Astrophotography

Itís all G∑∑K to meÖ Administrator Finalfantasykid's Avatar

Default Re: FFK's Astrophotography

I didn't go out of the city, but I do live in a suburb, so there isn't quite as much light. Secondly, because the moon is such an extremely bright object, the camera's exposure ended up being so low, the sky background ended up being pretty black. If I try to look at some of the nebulas and whatnot, the sky will probably become a larger problem. Lastly, I did some post-processing in Gimp to increase the contrast of the image.

Another moon picture. I tried taking some pictures of other objects (Jupiter, Pleiades, Orion Nebula) but they all looked really bad, I guess I need more practice with those objects.

Mostly Full Moon
    Last edited by Finalfantasykid; 01-26-2013 at 08:21 PM.

How do you track these planets, moons, and stars? What do you use?

When someone shows thee aggression, don't turn the other cheek, turn the other butt cheek instead. - Jesus of FXN

What do you mean by track? The brighter planets (Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn) are easy to see in the sky since they are so bright, have distinct colors, and do not twinkle, so I don't need anything to help me out there. Murcury I believe is also pretty bright, but because it always hangs out so close to the sun, you have to get it just at the right time to be able to see it good, or you could look at it during the day.

For the fainter planets like Uranus, Neptune and Pluto, since I can't actually see them with the naked eye, I would use the program Stellarium (free) to plan where I need to look. I have looked for Uranus once, and thought I saw it, but I'm pretty sure now that what I saw was just a star. I will have to look for it again some other time.

Deep Sky Objects like Nebulas, Clusters and Galaxies I would also typically use Stellarium to find them the first time I look for it. Thing is though they always stay in the same place in the sky (relative to other stars) so once you find it once, as long as you remember how to find it, it will always be there (unlike planets which move around the night sky).

Is that what you mean by tracking, or did you mean a tracking mount for the telescope?

By tracking, I meant how do you find the objects. I don't even know what tracking mount is.
    When someone shows thee aggression, don't turn the other cheek, turn the other butt cheek instead. - Jesus of FXN

I finally was able to get Jupiter imaged.

It's so small! You should try to take it when that eye thing pops up!

I tried a stiched together moon using a DSLR camera. I missed a few areas, and it was slightly out of focus (I'll get it next time!). But even still this method produced much sharper image quality compared to the previous moon images.

Another attempt with the DSLR, I think I set the ISO way too high, which resulted in a noisy image, but I at least got the entire moon, and I think the focus was a little better this time. I probably should have let the telescope cool down more since it still had maybe another 20-30 minutes before it would be fully cooled down (when it isn't cooled down, internal 'heat waves' in the tube cause the image to be blurry and very wavy). But I was getting cold, and the weather wasn't behaving 100% (on and off cloudyness), so I didn't want to risk waiting any longer.

Here is my first mars image:

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out since you can see a little bit of detail in the image. You can see at least one of the polar caps (You can sort of see both actually), as well as some surface features on the planet. I wish I had taken a picture two nights earlier as the seeing conditions were way better, resulting in being able to see more detail.

I took this a few weeks ago while Jupiter was at opposition. I'm really happy how it turned out:

Attached Images Attached Images