Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy's Success in the Foreseeable Future

Default Final Fantasy's Success in the Foreseeable Future

It's April 2012, and we're fast approaching E3.
    Square Enix has yet to truly promote their remaining FF titles in the West: XIV 2.0, Type-0, and Versus XIII.

Luckily for MMO fans, XIV 2.0 will be featured at E3, meaning the game will have a chance to show off its complete
    redesign and attempt to redeem itself in the wake of an abysmal launch for the sake of players both lost and new.
    However, I have to wonder how successful XIV 2.0 can be. When it comes to the market in 2013, Project Orbis
    will no doubt become less a collection of rumored features and more a tangible product. Square is counting on
    the game's PS3 launch as a reboot, but we don't know how sustainable the platform will be in the coming years,
    especially with Sony's next platform on the horizon; the PlayStation this generation wasn't exactly the ubiquitous
    console it was in the last. Potential players will have to consider this with respect to the dedication and commitment
    demanded of an MMO.

On the other side of the spectrum, Type-0 was released in Japan almost 6 months ago. We've had no news on the
    actual game since its localization confirmation, so we don't know how or when it will be released. I hope the most
    difficult aspect of the process has been finding good voice actors, since, as I recall, this game uses over 30.
    Nevertheless, Type-0 has its own hurdles to overcome as well. Assuming that it won't come out on the PSP, it can
    be released as a download-only game on PSN, a PSV exclusive, or some type of combination of the two. I don't know
    how well games do on PSN in general, but I can't imagine them being as successful as any physical counterparts that
    may exist. Additionally, the PSV has tapered off in sales dramatically, with sales in Japan finally reaching lower than 10,000.
    This, along with the PSV's categorization as a "social/mobile" gaming device, likely translates to unimpressive sales in
    the West as well. Regardless of what platform Square decides on, they will need to heavily advertise this fairly ambitious
    game as a standalone installment in the FNC Compilation rather than some random FF spin-off relegated to "just a
    handheld".

Versus XIII hasn't had decent information in a year. It's been cut from promotion multiple times because it never had a
    solid release window. Given that it's been in full production for at least as long as Type-0 has been out in Japan,
    it shouldn't be foolish to believe that this will be Square's last chance to promote it at E3. Like XIV 2.0, it will presumably
    be coming at the end of the generation. Despite a likely appearance at TGS, I think missing this E3 would be squandering
    a huge opportunity. XIII-2's sales have shown that either fans are unsatisfied/wary of XIII, or the franchise as a whole
    has taken a hit. Combine the latter with the fact that Japan now tends to prefer portable gaming, and I find it hard to
    believe Versus will do XIII numbers again in the West, let alone its own home territory. Fortunately, we know that an FF
    developed by a different team offers a reboot of sorts to the series, so Versus can demonstrate this at E3. I believe it
    already has some elements that may appeal to "Western gamers".

So what do you guys think of all this? Does Square Enix really have their work cut out for them in the near future or am
    I just being a raving lunatic?
    Last edited by OfTheAbyss92; 04-16-2012 at 03:43 PM.

"The revolution begins with the first movement of the cogs."
    -----------------------------------
    DeviantArt | YouTube

Default Re: Final Fantasy's Success in the Foreseeable Future

Interesting but I agree with you. Only time will tell I suppose but I hope SE didn't bite off more than they could chew and just have media updating as a low priority.

Regions of darkness untouched by god
    Miles of nothing to practice my art
    Pain, I'm in charge of pain, my home

Collecting their souls, become my slaves
    Welcome to my paradise, where decades are days
    The flames, you will call them home
    I welcome you

I like the killing, man is my game
    Mortals, angels, they all die the same
    Scream, I love to hear them scream
    OfTheAbyss92>gif

Quote Originally Posted by OfTheAbyss92 View Post
    So what do you guys think of all this? Does Square Enix really have their work cut out for them in the near future?
    Yes, I think they do. The Final Fantasy brand isn't as popular as it once was, so they really need to up their game. It's interesting that FFXIV 2.0 is being shown off at E3, I really wasn't expecting it until TGS. It's a good move really, as it needs as much coverage as possible before the relaunch. I'm looking forward to seeing it .

BUT...

...if XIV is going to be taking the limelight, then it's unlikely that we will see Versus or Type-0 ;_;

Who are you
    b*tch
    ? New lunch? I'mma ruin you,
    c**t

I think Square-Enix definitely has its work cut out. It is facing tough times. XIII-2 sales is medicore at best. XIV release was an epic fail. Where is Type-0? Versus is no where to be found (LOL?? No, I cannot even laugh). What is a Versus? That is foreign!

Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 needs to be a miracle or else all will be in vain. Without an dramatic increase and long-lasting healthy population of players, Square-Enix might as well through the game in the trash bin, so to speak. The company needs to appease and appeal to the fans for the failures of the original XIV.

I would like to see Final Fantasy Type-0 make an appearance at E3. Perhaps a localized version of an old Japanese trailer. That can surely generation excitement.

Versus... Ummm. I think it will NOT make an appearance at E3. And I am OK if I am wrong. Let me be wrong!

I wish Square-Enix the best. I really do. I have no idea what is going to happen. *fingers crossed* And a little prayer
    When someone shows thee aggression, don't turn the other cheek, turn the other butt cheek instead. - Jesus of FXN

GILGAMESH FAN KING MagiusNecros's Avatar

XIII-2 will likely double it's sales through DLC.

It all depends on the revamp of XIV, and if Type 0 and Versus get released ever.

SE needs to focus on new IP's and do good.

^ I agree on the new IPs.

SE needs to make the next big thing as the FF series can't help them forever.
    Just a Moon ;P
    Official Mato Kuroi/ Black Rock Shooter of FXN

SE needs to learn that FF isn't the only thing they can make.

How fares the hunt, kupo? omnislashmaster's Avatar

Square has alot on it's plate, but let's remember that they've placed themselves into this predicament. Too many resources going to too many projects, and not even bothering trying to finish FNC:FFXIII before announcing XIV and XIII-2 was a telltale sign that Square has production management issues, and that unless they get their heads out of their asses, it's only going to hurt them more in the long run.

For their sake, I hope that this E3 or by TGS that Versus makes a huge update of some sort. If not, I comfortable to say that I'm done with Square-Enix as a developer. My patience with their business and management antics has waned too thinly, already.

New image signature coming soon...please be excited.
    ---
    PSN:
    PM me for ID
    / Twitter / Film Reviews & Blog / Artwork

---
    What I'm Playing:
    Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy XII, League of Legends

What I'm Looking Forward To:
    The Last Of Us, Final Fantasy XV, Destiny, The Order: 1886

Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
    ...if XIV is going to be taking the limelight, then it's unlikely that we will see Versus or Type-0 ;_;
    Not necessarily; those two essentially have different audiences (though I might not put it past SE to use that excuse).

Quote Originally Posted by MagiusNecros
    SE needs to focus on new IP's and do good.
    Thankfully, they do have that ARPG that's using the Unreal Engine. Let's hope that becomes a hit ...

Quote Originally Posted by omnislashmaster
    For their sake, I hope that this E3 or by TGS that Versus makes a huge update of some sort. If not, I comfortable to say that I'm done with Square-Enix as a developer. My patience with their business and management antics has waned too thinly, already.
    Like I said, they really should start by E3. I honestly don't know how they could be this far along in full production and not be closing in on a Japanese release window. From what Nomura has said, the majority of the world map should already be done, many of the story's cutscenes have been made, and they've successfully implemented the most difficult features of the game (seamless loading, Luminous Studio lighting tech, environment interaction, etc.). This should be their last E3 to promote it. Perhaps a lack of localization efforts (and thus, English voice actors) is keeping them?

DeviantArt | YouTube

This should be their last E3 to promote it. Perhaps a lack of localization efforts (and thus, English voice actors) is keeping them?
    At this point I'd just be happy take Japanese audio with subtitles and translated menus.

Who are you
    b*tch
    ? New lunch? I'mma ruin you,
    c**t

^ Me too, sadly. What bothers me is that they don't make an exception to their policy of promoting only games close to release for the single remaining project that came before all of that. Besides, I doubt reassuring fans with occasional news and screenshots would really hinder sales of their other games.

DeviantArt | YouTube

I'm surprised anybody actually cares about Versus - that game was announced nearly 6 years ago and since then there's been barely any information on it at all and people are still waiting on it? My stance on that game is to completely forget about it unless any sort of solid release date comes out, until then I'll put my attention towards games that actually might see the light of day sometime.

As for as Final Fantasy's future, I honestly believe Square need to hold off on the series and build their reputation back as developers with a new IP and a fresh start. Even though I don't believe that the quality of the later games have been as bad as everyone makes out (XII for example is one of my favourites) I do believe that the name of the franchise has been tarnished as of late. If Square can build up a new IP and gain back the industry-wide respect that they had before then maybe they could move back to Final Fantasy, but right now I don't think this series has the same credibility that it used to have.

They need to make new IP's and use new ideas.

Final Fantasy isn't the only thing they can make.

And Toriyama just needs to GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I'm surprised anybody actually cares about Versus - that game was announced nearly 6 years ago and since then there's been barely any information on it at all and people are still waiting on it? My stance on that game is to completely forget about it unless any sort of solid release date comes out, until then I'll put my attention towards games that actually might see the light of day sometime.
    There's been enough information to know that it's a pretty ambitious game in general:
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    From what Nomura has said, the majority of the world map should already be done, many of the story's cutscenes have been made, and they've successfully implemented the most difficult features of the game (seamless loading, Luminous Studio lighting tech, environment interaction, etc.).
    The point of this thread is to highlight where Square is at the moment with Final Fantasy as E3 approaches and get everyone's perspective on the matter. That doesn't mean anyone is focused solely on Versus; the situation is quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    As for as Final Fantasy's future, I honestly believe Square need to hold off on the series and build their reputation back as developers with a new IP and a fresh start. Even though I don't believe that the quality of the later games have been as bad as everyone makes out (XII for example is one of my favourites) I do believe that the name of the franchise has been tarnished as of late. If Square can build up a new IP and gain back the industry-wide respect that they had before then maybe they could move back to Final Fantasy, but right now I don't think this series has the same credibility that it used to have.
    For the most part I agree, but it doesn't change the fact that these are logically Square's next games that are relevant to the West and releasing in the comparative future. Whether the company feels the same way or not, it's going to have these games available for everyone to play and critique. I can see them trying what you suggested next generation. It would be quite a challenge establishing and building on a new IP rather than just trying to deliver a solid Final Fantasy title, though.
    Last edited by OfTheAbyss92; 04-22-2012 at 06:48 PM.

DeviantArt | YouTube

Thankfully, they do have that ARPG that's using the Unreal Engine. Let's hope that becomes a hit ...
    Like they tried with the The Last Remnant? LOL

Square's main problem is not using E3 to promote their RPGs to the west, I don't understand why they do not use it to help their games out. I know everyone is down on all the games, but they show a new Versus trailer, or just say that Type-0 is going to be come to the west, everyone would go crazy for it, and we would be happy. Come on Squeenix put on a happy face

Sign here, it wouldn't hurt to just help a little
    Pencils are your swords. Books are your shields.