Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What's so bad about FF13 story?

Default Re: What's so bad about FF13 story?

I do believe this is Toriyama and Watanabe basically saying that female villains are useless and should be quickly made an example of by the main (male) head honcho. But hey, she has some nice boobs, so let's bring her back as DLC!

Pfff. Not many other FF Games even put a female into a villain position. At least Jihl had a moment to look badass before being killed off.

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only necessity."

That's even worse. That's how sexist they are!

And Jihl's final moment was uhh, pointing a stick at the L'Cie. I give her points for bravery and duty at least.

Was mainly thinking of her near-sadistic attitude with Sazh and Vanille at Nautilus, but that works too. She was prepared to fight anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleur View Post
    That's even worse. That's how sexist they are!

And Jihl's final moment was uhh, pointing a stick at the L'Cie. I give her points for bravery and duty at least.
    Yes it was. She was apparently defending Primarch Galenth Dysley. He claimed she was just a mere human and struck her down. =[

Sure.. that was being brave! xD

As long as you laugh at people's suffering, your goal will always be out of reach. If you never want to be defeated, you must first learn your own weakness, and always be kind.

That be awesome if we could fight Primarch Galenth Dysley in human form for a DLC or something.

Hmmm I do not think that would be possible. Long nailed Holy figure.... obviously some super powered villain. He then turns out to have a choir on both sides of his face.

As long as you laugh at people's suffering, your goal will always be out of reach. If you never want to be defeated, you must first learn your own weakness, and always be kind.

I personally love the story and have beaten it twice and soon will start my 3rd playthrough. I think the complaint that it's too linear is directed towards not having much freedom with building your ideal party and world exploration until late in the game. Most games nowadays have a more open world feel to them i.e. Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, etc. If you have paid any attention to the FF games over the years they're all pretty linear as far as exploration goes until the latter parts anyway. With the upcoming FF13-3 the developers claim to offer an open world layout. Never fear, the "FF fans" will complain that it's not linear enough. Seems to be that any FF that's not a FF7 remake gets hated on by the "fans" anymore

I did like the ending of final fantasy 13, What happened to Snow at the end though? They never did really explain what happened to him

Quote Originally Posted by DoIevenplayFF? View Post
    I did like the ending of final fantasy 13, What happened to Snow at the end though? They never did really explain what happened to him
    At the end of XIII?
    He was uncrystallized like everyone else, reunited with Serah, and basically got Lightning's approval for marriage. What's not to get?
    Last edited by Jesus; 06-18-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Serah, i wrap spoiler tags around your post. This thread is not in spoiler forum. Please use spoiler tag. Thank you.
    When someone shows thee aggression, don't turn the other cheek, turn the other butt cheek instead. - Jesus of FXN

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    Serah, i wrap spoiler tags around your post. This thread is not in spoiler forum. Please use spoiler tag. Thank you.
    Oh whoopsie. Forgot to put them in. Thanks~

It's hard to discuss this without spoiling the game so... spoiler tag time!

My issues with FFXIII's story are in its execution rather than the actual story itself. On paper everything looks great, you have 6 characters that are inadvertently forced into the same situation, they react to it differently and go their separate ways, only to be drawn back together and united with a common goal. During this time you have a boy that has to come to terms with the death of his mother and forgive the man he holds responsible, a man that has to come to terms with his own recklessness and learn to control his impulsive desire to help people at the risk of others, a girl that has to confront her mistakes rather than running away from them at every turn, etc. All good characters on paper.

The reason why I feel this translates poorly into the game itself is in the way these stories are told and presented. You're barely given time to learn who any of these characters are before they're suddenly crying or screaming at you non-stop in the most melodramatic way possible. I absolutely hated Hope at the beginning of the game purely because I wasn't given any time to like him before he started his "RAGHH I MUST KILL SNOW TO AVENGE MY MOM" nonsense... that continued for about 75% of the game. At the same time Snow wouldn't stop screaming "SERAHHHH!!" every 5 seconds, Lightning wouldn't stop punching people, Vanille wouldn't stop being personification of annoyance, etc. Only Sazh seemed remotely human for large portions of the game, and Snow whenever Serah wasn't brought into the equation.

The villains felt largely undeveloped too. Jihl and Yaag were both interesting characters but were given minimal screen-time, especially Jihl. Only Barthandelus seemed to get any in-game spotlight and he felt like a typical "God-like character that is misleading his people"-type villain. Once again these characters looked strong on paper but weren't executed well in-game.

And that is why XIII's story failed in my eyes, poor execution of a story that actually looked very strong on paper.

"
    Lightning wouldn't stop punching people
    ". Wut.

She might've done that what... 3-4 times in the whole game? 2 of which were at one moment and on the same person?
    So much over-exaggeration in your post. Sooo much.

I agree with everything that Phoenix said, for the most part. I won't lie, the first time I tried playing this game I became tremendously bored after just 2-3 hours. I pressed on, and by the time that I controlled Sazh and Vanille, I dropped the controller.

I was terribly confused with all of the "Fal'cie, L'Cie" mumbo jumbo and couldn't be arsed to read the datalog which was updated every 2 minutes. I guess it was difficult getting into the plot, considering that all the characters seemed to know what was going on when I didn't. I'll just leave it at this...it wasn't *magical* for me.

I have a major preference for open worlds like FFXII and Star Ocean but FFXIII is not Star Ocean, it is what it is, and after giving it a second shot I found that it was an enjoyable game in its own right.

My peeves with this game didnít really stem from the poor storyline presentation. I was actually more bothered by the sounds! Go figure. I was not impressed with the music in a Final Fantasy game for the first time in history. I was very put off by Vanilleís voice and the vocal tracks didn't mesh well with me. A lot of the music reminded me of Besaid in FFX for some reason.